Kiwanis - Serving the Children of the World
Anoka, MN Area Inc
Serving the Children of the World
News
Kiwanis's Annual Pancake Breakfast and Bake Sale
10/30/2016
news image

On Sunday, Oct. 30, 2016, we'll again host our annual Pancake Breakfast...

more
Ramsey K-Kids "Build" School Brick by Brick
04/18/2016
news image

The K-Kids Student Council group from Ramsey Elementary has completed their...

more
Anoka Key Club Serves Up a Tastey Project
04/18/2016
news image

On Sunday, April 17th, five students from the Anoka Key Club served a meal at...

more
News Article
12/19/2015
news image

Congratulations! Our Anoka Area Kiwanis club has achieved Blue-level Today Club...

more
Anoka Area Kiwanis Reaches their Eliminate Goal
03/22/2015
news image

Anoka Area Kiwanis Club is extremely proud to announce our club has reached...

more

Kiwanis and Anoka Area Club History

Kiwanis International was founded in 1915 under the original name of "The Benevolent Order of Brothers." A year later the name was changed to "Kiwanis" from an American Indian term "Nun Keewanis," which means roughly "Self Expression."

Kiwanis entered Canada in 1916, Mexico in 1962, and today serves the needs of over 80 countries throughout the world.

July 1987, in Washington, D.C. the assembled delegates of the 72nd Annual Kiwanis International Convention voted to permit women to be sponsored for membership in Kiwanis Clubs. Janet Davenport was the first woman to become a member of the Anoka Kiwanis Club in 1987 and its first woman president in 1992.

The fall of 1921, Kiwanis District organizer, Walter Humpton met with 18 Anoka business men and explained the rules for the establishment of a local Kiwanis Club. Fifty men were needed, all from trades and professions and only two from each business. The initiation fee was $21.50 and the headline in Anoka Union stated the club would be one of 600 clubs already formed. After several meetings all 18 signed applications and on January 12, 1922, Anoka Kiwanis Club was chartered with a membership of 68. Charter presentations were held in the Anoka Armory, where Frank L. Salter, of the State Bank was installed as the first president.

Sponsored service groups in the schools include Key clubs at Anoka and Andover High Schools; Builders clubs at Anoka Middle School for the Arts; and K-Kids at Washington, Wilson, Lincoln, Ramsey, and Franklin elementary schools.

Each year Anoka Kiwanis donates monies to such causes as scholarships to Anoka and Andover high schools, Anoka Ramsey Community College and Anoka Vocational Technical College students, The Lyric Arts Theatre, International Kiwanis World Wide Eliminate project, Boy Scout Troop 204, Girl Scouts, Kiwanis Leadership Conference for Youth, Youth First Neighborhood Center, and Anoka County Brotherhood Center.